This 5th grade math unit covers all things adding and subtracting fractions. Standards 5.NF.1 and 5.NF.42 are covered. Your students will learn about finding the least common denominator, creating equivalent fractions, adding fractions with unlike denominators, including mixed numbers. Students will learn to subtract fractions from a whole number, subtract fractions with unlike denominators, and subtract two mixed numbers. They’ll also learn to determine if their answer is reasonable, plus solve word problems.
This is the ninth unit of 5th Grade Guided Math. This unit is focused on Adding and Subtracting Fractions (5.NF.1,2) (TEKS 5.3H,K–download the preview for more information about TEKS correlation) and is a three week long unit.
5th Grade Guided Math units are recommended for small group, targeted instruction, but also can be used in a whole group format.
There are two separate PDF’s included. One with CC Standards and one with TEKS standards.
- Vocabulary and Definition Cards
- Questioning Cards
- Printables to support instruction
- 3 weeks of adding and subtracting fraction lesson plans (Please note–the links on the lesson plan are to additional products in my store that cover a certain standard. They are NOT necessary to teach the lessons included in Guided Math and are not included with this product.) ⚠️An editable (PowerPoint) version of the lesson plans is now included.
- Practice pages (One for each day. Day 5 practice pages are a review of the objectives covered during the week and can be used as assessment.)
- Extension activities (One for each day of the week! Use these in one of your centers or another small group rotation!)
- Additional resources to support instruction
- Pre and Post Assessments for the unit
- Answer keys for assessments and practice pages