This 3rd grade math unit covers area. Standards 3.MD.5, 3.MD.6, and 3.MD.7 are covered. Your students will learn about square units as area. They will count square units on a plane figure. They will also learn how the area of a rectangle is additive. They’ll learn about the area of a rectangle as length times width, find the missing length of a rectangle, find the area of a rectilinear shape, find missing sides on a rectilinear shape, and solve real world area math problems.
This is the fourteenth unit of 3rd Grade Guided Math. This unit is focused on Area (3.MD.5-7) (TEKS 3.6C,D–download the preview for more information about TEKS correlation) and is a three week long unit.
3rd Grade Guided Math units are recommended for small group, targeted instruction, but also can be used in a whole group format.
There are two separate PDF’s included. One with CC Standards and one with TEKS standards.
- Vocabulary and Definition Cards
- Questioning Cards
- Printables to support instruction
- 3 weeks of area lesson plans (Please note–the links on the lesson plan are to additional products in my store that cover a certain standard. They are NOT necessary to teach the lessons included in Guided Math and are not included with this product.) ⚠️An editable (PowerPoint) version of the lesson plans is now included.
- Practice pages (One for each day. Day 5 practice pages are a review of the objectives covered during the week and can be used as assessment.)
- Extension activities (One for each day of the week! Use these in one of your centers or another small group rotation!)
- Additional resources to support instruction
- Pre and Post Assessments for the unit
- Answer keys now included for assessments and practice pages