This third grade Fictional Narrative Writing Unit is just what you need to teach this skill!
When it comes to writing, there is so much we want (and need) to teach our students. However, we cannot focus on all of it all at once or we will cause our students to hate writing. I have broken this down into easy to implement lesson plans and have included all of the materials you need. This unit can be implemented at an easy pace—spread out over four weeks, or can be condensed to be taught in a shorter time period.
- Mentor Text
- Rubric & Checklists
- 12 Easy to Implement Lesson Plans
- 6 Centers
- Graphic Organizers
- Posters (Also can be printed and put in a writing notebook)
- UPDATE: Now includes a digital (Google Slides) version of the resource! Learn more here.
What’s Taught: (W.3.3.A, W.3.3.B)
- Brainstorming Characters & Settings
- Fictional Narrative Organizer
- Setting the Scene
- Introducing the Problem
- Sequential Unfolding of Events
- Character Responds to Events
- Elaborating on Character Response
- Sense of Closure
- Show, Don’t Tell
- Editing with a Partner
- Revise & Revisit the Rubric